Overcoming Insecurities

4:28 AM

Hey guys!



This post is sort of 'life style' based and as you will of probably guessed, it's about overcoming your insecurities. I have had this saved but not completely finished and not wanting to publish it, but after contemplating for an incredibly long time, I decided to finish it and publish.

Before I properly start, I would like to thank Meg for helping me with this when I struggling to put the correct words together!

At the age of 16, I would be lying if I said I haven't felt insecure at some point in my existence. This has been influenced by watching TV and and growing up with others that surround me. It is very easy to compare yourself to somebody else and it has definitely taken me quite a long time to become comfortable with myself, however, I still get days when my self confidence wavers and this can be due to a number of reasons.

At the end of the day, nobody is perfect and everyone has 'bad days' but over time I have learnt to start feeling more positive about myself and learn to love who I am. After all, you're unique in your own way! You only have one body in this life and you can't change who you are, so why not embrace what you've got and love who you are as a person.





I thought I would share some of my tips for overcoming insecurity which, hopefully, might reassure you!


1. Surround yourself with supportive people. I have done this and I have never felt better! There are only a few people who I can consider as 'close' and I have become closer to people who I didn't think I would be friends with and despite being friends with them for around 1/2 years, I feel as though I can tell them anything rather than tell a friend who I have known for around 11 years! If you feel as though the current people you are friends with are not making you feel positive about yourself, find some new people who will support you and not bring you down and make you feel more insecure about yourself.



"Don’t ever put your happiness in someone else’s hands. They’ll drop it. They’ll drop it everytime."

One For Sorrow, C.Barzak

2. Wash your insecurities away. This isn't something that I have tried, but after coming across it on Tumblr, I thought I could include it! You write down what you are feeling on your arms with a pen before you go to have a shower or bath, and then eventually the water will 'wash them away down the drain'. I have seen some of the replies saying it works for some people!




3. 'What's the best that could happen?' This is something that I don't do, which I must start doing more! My mind tends to wonder off and I end up thinking about 'what's the worst that could happen' which puts me off doing certain things and has stopped me from taking quite a few good opportunities. Think about the positive outcome rather than the negative because there will surely be more positives than negatives!




4. Try not to compare yourself to others. This generation encourages comparison between the members of society e.g. who's more prettier, intelligent, etc. One of the main reasons why we compare ourselves to each other is because of the media. You see celebrities who people consider 'perfect' so we aim to look like them. The first reason as to why we shouldn't compare ourselves to one another is because everyone is different. 



5. Advantages > Disadvantages. I guarantee there will be more advantages than disadvantages in you and more features that you like about yourself as opposed to dislike! These can be anything! Your eyes, hair, lips, etc! Some of the things you may feel insecure about and think that everyone sees it too, is probably not true. They may not even notice it unless you decide to point it out! 



I hope you all liked this post as it did take me quite a while to write and to decide whether I wanted to post it or not! :)

Thank you for reading!

~

Priti :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images