Body Image & Body Confidence | Ways To Think Positive

1:36 PM



This is a quite a touchy topic which I have wanted to write about for a very long time but I just did not know how to process what I was thinking, down into words but I'm going to have a go. 

I have days where I put on an outfit, look in the mirror and just think 'damn I look great' and feel so positive about myself and feel positive for the rest of the day and then there are days where I think 'why doesn't my butt look as big as Kim K's'. I think that near enough everyone, whether you are male or female and also including myself, have had thoughts about how they see themselves whether that be in a positive or negative thought. I'm sure we all have said or thought things such as 'Oh I wish I looked like her''my bum and/or boobs aren't big enough.', 'I need thicker thighs/slimmer legs''I need killer abs/muscles' or something along those lines because I most definitely have. 




I began exercising at home from 2013 but never really took it seriously until I think December 2014. When I did begin to take it seriously over 2015, I have made quite a lot of progress when it comes to my core, waist, butt and thighs/legs and I am really happy to have reached my body goal. But even then, when I'm scrolling down Instagram and seeing all the IG fitness models, I can't help but think 'wow I wish I had a bum like hers' or "Why aren't my hips that big and my waist not that small" which just makes me want to exercise and work out even more even though the model's body type/proportions are no where near similar to mine. I've had times where I look at a photo and think 'I need to get my body like hers', when in reality, my body type is no where near similar to the girl in the photo so I'm basically just being unrealistic.

Having been influenced by so many factors, (one of which I think the biggest factor is through the media), society has created this image of what is considered to be 'perfect' in terms of when it comes to individuals and what they look like, whether that be body wise or appearance wise. We see things in the media, whether that be on the television, in magazines or online, celebrities and models having the most perfect tanned airbrushed skin with no imperfections at all and this causing many young girls trying to fit into this image of 'perfection' i.e. girls have to have long legs, long hair and curves in the right places but still be slim and guys have to be tall yet built and muscly.This image that is being passed onto young people is when a preoccupation of wanting to be thin or 'perfect' takes over their mind in which it leads to eating disorders such as Bulimia and Anorexia. 




MY WAYS TO BECOME POSITIVE ABOUT YOUR BODY

Over the years I've sort of conditioned myself to feel more positive about myself but it didn't start kicking in until the beginning of last year that I finally started to slowly but steadily become content with myself. I thought to bring this post to a close, I'd share some of the ways I've learnt to feel positive and confident when it comes to body image. 

  1. Replace negative thoughts about your body with positive thoughts. It's easier said than done but once you consistently begin to tell yourself positive thoughts, you will feel a lot more better about yourself. I changed my entire mindset to a positive mindset and it has helped me so much over the past year in boosting my confidence. I would find one thing to compliment myself on whether that be physically or personality wise. Look at yourself holistically & as a whole and try not to be fixated on a specific area of your body which you are having negative thoughts about.
  2. Exercise, whether it be joining a gym or in your bedroom. Do it because you want to see your body become stronger and be healthy in the long term and not just to lose weight. I started off little by exercising once a week and build it up to 4 times a week focusing on my core, waist, butt and thighs/legs and not only have I seen a difference physically, but it's boosted my self-esteem and confidence immensely.
  3. Meditation. Recently I've been so engrossed with becoming spiritually enlightened and awakened that it's benefited me mentally, emotionally and physically. Whenever I am bored, instead of eating to fill that boredom, I'll meditate for a short amount of time which will take my mind to a completely different place.
  4. Surround yourself with positive people who make you feel better about yourself and make you think positive instead of people who will say negative things about you.
  5. Wear clothes that make you feel comfortable. Seen a dress you liked but you were debating on whether or not it would look good on you? Buy it and flaunt it. Identify what kind of style you are into and slay your outfits everyday no matter your height, shape and size.
  6. Treat yourself! Have a bubble bath at home or have a day out at a spa with a family member or a friend. I personally love to treat myself to some of my favourite body lotions/washes,mists, candles, body oils and incense which smell amazing.
  7. The biggest one for me is to love yourself first. Also easier said than done but once you start loving yourself for everything that you are, you will feel incredible! 

~

Not too sure if towards the end I went a bit off topic but oh well! This has been a long post but I hope you enjoyed reading this and it's helped you in some way :) 

Love, Priti xo 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Great post! It can be hard to accept yourself as you are but these steps are great advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be very hard! Thank you so much! :)

      Delete

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images