Stress & Anxiety | How I Deal With Them

1:10 PM

Whether it be a big situation or even just the teeny tiniest thing, I am the type of person to stress over things a lot. I am that type of person who will constantly over think situations and my mind will make up scenarios which make out the situation I am in, worse than it really is which results in me feeling incredibly overwhelmed. To make things worse, I will keep what is stressing me out bottled up instead of releasing it.

I'm sure that if you are reading this, you may have been in situations where it resulted in you feeling stressed or overwhelmed because life does have it's ups and downs with the bumps in the road. Some of these situations may be certain life events such as having to deal with a divorce of your parents or someone passing away or things such as exams for school subjects, etc, and it can be hard to deal with these types of situations you are possibly in. When you are stressed, you may feel nauseous, tired, scared of what is going to happen, etc and too much stress can be very bad for your health and well-being causing health problems such as headaches, depression and anxiety.



I'm sure all of us have had people tell us to 'calm down' or 'stop stressing' which is easier said then done especially if they do not know why you are worrying or stressing about something. Over the years I have learnt how to get stress and anxiety under control and I thought that I would share some of these ways. These may work for you, they may not work for you, who knows? They are just particularly some of the ways I am able to feel less stressed/overwhelmed/anxious in any given situation. 

  1. I know that for quite a lot of people, exams are coming up whether you are in University, doing A-Levels or are at GCSE and you'll be doing mock papers and revising a lot. When it comes to exams, I get extremely stressed and especially worried, about how it will go down and some of you may also feel similar. You might end up overworking yourself when it comes to things such as revision which won't help. I know for when I had to revise for exams, I would end up revising non-stop without breaks until it got really late at night. This did not help me at all as it meant that I was trying to cram information into my brain in order to remember it. On top of that, I would go sleep later and wake up early which meant I was really tired the next morning.

    When it comes to things such as exams or tests and trying to keep my stress and anxiety levels to a minimum, I make sure to take time outs and breaks over the time that I will be revising for. For example: if you are planning to revise for 4 hours, revise first for an hour and a half and then maybe take a 20 minute break for your brain to rest for a while and carry on for another hour and a half, etc (you get my drift). During the breaks you could go outside and get some fresh air if you are inside or maybe read a book before going back to revising. TIP: During the Spring/Summer time, if the weather is sunny outside, you could take your books and notes outside to revise! I did this once a few months before an exam in June and it helps. Also, make sure to get enough sleep. Making sure that you get enough sleep before the day of a test or exam is key because it allows your body to get the rest it needs especially if you have been feeling stressed.
  2. I find that listening to music and just clearing my mind also helps with coping with stress and anxiety. For me when I'm stressed about something, I enjoy listening to music that is calm or chilled out which I know will put me in a relaxed mood. You could search up calm music on YouTube and just listen to that and see if it helps. If you are unable to sleep, stick some music on which may help you to fall asleep and just clear your mind for the time being so you can fall asleep,
  3. Talk to someone! If there is something on your mind and it is making you feel anxious or it's overwhelming, talking to someone can help to lift the 'weight off your chest'. Whether it be over exams and you're worried about whether you know the right stuff for it, maybe get someone to quiz you. If it is a personal matter which you are stressing about and it is what's making you anxious, maybe talk to someone who you know will sit down and really listen to you.
When I am in any situation which makes me feel anxious, I will most likely remove myself from that situation. However, if it a particular thing which is making me feel anxious, then I will distract myself like crazy by doing something else to take my mind off it. Most of the time I will either watch a funny film I absolutely love because I know it will cheer me up, watch funny YouTube videos, listen to music or read a book.

Below are some things you could do for when you are feeling anxious. 


~

I hope that this sort of helped you in a way of how to deal with things such as stress and anxiety and how I personally control them! If you do want any more information, I know that websites such as nhs.uk, anxietyuk.org.uk, time-to-change.org.uk and helpguide.org I have found to be very useful. 

Thank you so much for reading! Be sure to leave a comment on how you deal with situations when you are stressed/worried/anxious!

Love, Priti xo 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. The line ' don't worry or calm down' 😒 I really don't know why people think it helps, it's not that simple!

    I find having perfume on or in my when to spray when I feel anxious helps me a lot (there's a actual reason why/how it works on the Internet somewhere). I also draw, walk/exercise or listen to music.

    Sometimes you just have to shut yourself out!

    Love the blog 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! I find it just makes me feel worse when someone does tell me to 'calm down'!

      I haven't tried having perfume on to make me feel less anxious, I'll have to give it a go! I like to have my alone time when I'm stressed or anxious! Thank you for reading!! :) x

      Delete

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images